Extreme weight loss diets may be a fast and easy way to lose weight quickly, but you need to be aware of their risks and take the necessary precautions when going on such a diet.
I am not a fan of rapid weight loss diet plans. I prefer to lose weight the long term and the healthy way and honestly believe that the longer you take to lose it, the longer it will stay off. But that is just my opinion and I totally understand that sometimes you have to go on one – either you have a wedding coming up or summer is just approaching too fast.
Whatever your reasons may be, you need to be aware of the risks of an extreme weight loss diet and you also have to take the necessary precautions to make sure that you don't hurt yourself or experience too much adverse side effects. That's why we will look at the top 4 risks and the top 5 precautions you need to take when going on such a diet. Here they are:
Risks of fast diets
Here are the top 4 risks of an extreme diet that promises to help you lose weight quickly. Make sure that you take note of each and every one of them:
- Dehydration – A lot of the weight that you are losing on such a diet is actually water weight and can lead to you being hydrated if you don't replenish the lost water.
- Malnutrition – Most diets that make you lose weight very quick are not balanced or healthy and the lack of some nutrients or food groups can lead to you being malnutrition.
- Adverse side effects – Diets that make you lose weight quickly can have adverse side effects like nausea, dizziness, fainting, headaches, hunger pangs, loss of energy and muscle loss.
- Slowdown of metabolism in long run – In the long run you risk slowing down your metabolism – making it difficult to lose weight in the long run.
Precautions you need to take when on a fast weight loss diet
Make sure that you take these precautions before and while you are on a diet, to make sure that you don't hurt yourself and to ensure a safe and happy weight loss journey:
- Be aware of the many risks of such a diet – Make sure that you are aware of the many risks of a meal plan that promotes quick weight loss and that you take them seriously.
- Drink lots of water – To avoid hydration and to flush toxins your of your system, make sure that you drink at least 2 liters of water a day.
- Try to go on a healthy one – To limit the bad side effects try to go on an diet that are healthy and balanced
- Don't stay on it too long – To limit the damage, don't go on such a diet for too long.
- Take a break when adverse side effects occur – If you have adverse side effects, take a break from the diet and if they still occur when you continue with the diet, consider stopping altogether.
Being aware of these risks and taking the necessary precautions will help you to have a safer and a happier diet experience. Make sure that you take them seriously and that you implement all the precautions. It is also advises to do only light exercises when on such a diet.